Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Brothers

Tonight the forest died
Too much was taken
Tree skins flayed
And laid aside, cut and used
Bruised
Crumpled in the mouth
Of an iron monster
I saw fire
Blasting out the top of their
Skulls
Flames licking at the tender
Confused wood flesh
Moaning in realization of anguish
Their time was up
Tonight the forest died
Crimes against nature
Have been nurtured into
Faux-blessings
For the greater good
I stood at their gates
With my arms around friends
And felt my redwood brother
Breathe in the fear around
Staring down that
Iron monster
Who came to cut and mangle
Devour and stain
The earth with its mark
Of void
Tonight the forest died
I stepped aside
Clutching just my life in my
Fingertips
Wishing it could do more
To my foe
Than just BE
Energies hurricaned my head
Tears wading down as I
Watched them fall
All gone in one by one pattern
And that iron-mouthed monster
Still so unsatisfied
I thumbed the silk-smooth life
And threw it up in ocean of sky
Hoping the wind would carry it
Somewhere better
The night the forest died
Cosmic breath
Pushed my skins toward
A room with power
Now or never, it was time to step
Into the role of protector
Dole out the punishments
For killing my brothers
Putting them in
Iron monsters
Hearing them scream
Green mouths yelling
Telling us to stay but still
Pushing us away so that
Later
More would survive
I will not give up
The night the forest died
I was born

No comments:

Post a Comment